Do you commute by car or motorcycle? Does a relaxing weekend look like cruising in a convertible or riding behind the handlebars of your prized Harley? Either way, getting more clarity on the risks and common causes of motorcycle accidents can save lives. Motorcyclists are even more at risk of death than motorists…28 times more likely according to 2016 data presented by the Insurance Information Institute. This should be getting everyone’s attention. Alert, responsible drivers (of any vehicle!) can help change the statistics. HG.org Legal Resources outlines some sobering facts about motorcycle accidents that might just be the insight drivers need to adjust their roadway habits in a positive way:
- The majority of motorcycle accidents happen when colliding with a passenger vehicle
- About two thirds of motorcycle accidents are caused by motorcyclist error
- When there are two or more vehicles involved, about two thirds of motorcycle accidents happen due to the other vehicle violating the motorcyclist’s right of way.
- Most accidents happen because motorists do not see the motorcycle
- Visibility helps! Accidents involving cars is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (turned on even in daylight) and motorcyclists wearing high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.
- Intersections are the most common roadway location for motorcycle accidents
- While many people think of slippery roads as contributing to motorcycle accidents, in 98% of motorcycle accidents, weather does not contribute to the accident.
- Most motorcycle accidents happen during short trips close to home
- While some people might view motorcyclists as thrill-seekers, in the majority of accidents, the motorcyclist’s average speed is around 30 mph.
- The majority of motorcycle accidents involve alcohol
Along with these facts, there’s a popular myth that needs debunking: whether or not an accident is a personal injury case – insurance coverage isn’t guaranteed. Motorcyclists pay hefty premiums to carry insurance in hopes that it will prove to be a worthy investment in the event of an accident. But it’s not uncommon for insurance adjusters to deny the claim total that insurance carriers were hoping for. Unfortunately, insurance adjusters often don’t care about the best interests of the accident victim, but rather use impersonal formulas or computer programs to estimate a claim value that helps boost their company’s bottom line. In many cases, adjusters offer settlements that don’t fully cover an injured rider’s medical expenses and rehabilitation fees, not even to mention the psychological trauma or other losses that often come with an accident.
Whether you are a motorcyclist or a motorist, The Law Office of Brian K Branch is here to represent you inside and outside the court with your best possible outcome in mind. As a victim of any kind of negligent driving or any kind of insurance claim injustice, you deserve full legal representation and financial compensation. Give us a call or contact us online today to get started!
Law Office of Brian K Branch
715 Marquette Ave. NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102
Toll Free: 888.972.1212