From car accidents to accidents at the workplace, Albuquerque residents face the daily risk of personal injuries due to the negligence of others. Bringing justice to personal injury cases in New Mexico is what the Law Office of Brian K. Branch is passionate about. Unfortunately, in our 40 years of experience, we’ve seen that the unfairness of personal injury cases doesn’t stop with the original negligence that causes the accident. It’s all too common for insurance companies to fight their responsibility to cover everything that is owed. If you’re suffering because of someone else’s negligence, don’t settle for unfair or incomplete compensation! Get a personal injury attorney’s help because most often, the personal injury compensation legally allowed goes far beyond medical bills. Many personal injury victims are entitled to what is called “pain and suffering.”
What is Pain and Suffering?
Law.com defines pain and suffering as “the physical and mental distress suffered from an injury, including actual broken bones and internal ruptures, but also the aches, pain, temporary and permanent limitations on activity, potential shortening of life, depression and embarrassment from scarring, all of which are part of the “general damages” recoverable by someone injured by another’s negligence or intentional attack.”
How is Pain and Suffering Measured?
Determining pain and suffering is especially complicated because the damages and losses are subjective, as opposed to concrete medical expenses which can be calculated relatively easily. Enjuris says that “the concept of pain and suffering addresses the overall loss of comfort, happiness and opportunity that usually follows an accident.”
The amount of pain and suffering that someone can be legally compensated for depends on the individual case. Below are some common examples of pain and suffering categories, but remember that your case might include many more instances of pain and suffering:
- Emotional trauma, including post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression
- Bodily injury and its lasting effects
- Grief over the death of a loved one
- Limitation of personal activities
- Loss of work opportunities and wages
- Cancelled plans, such as travel or life events
- Potential shortening of life
Why Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
If you want to get compensation for the full scope of your injuries in Albuquerque, New Mexico, you need a compassionate and effective personal injury lawyer fighting on your side for the following reasons and more:
- Pain and suffering laws are extremely complicated, nuanced, and subjective, requiring an experienced lawyer to interpret.
- A lawyer can even reveal damages that you didn’t even know you could receive compensation for.
- Many victims are so concerned with getting their immediate medical expenses and other bills covered, that they downplay the importance of pain and suffering damages. A personal injury lawyer can help you see the long term impact that a personal injury case makes on your life as a whole, and help you seek the holistic compensation you deserve.
Has someone else’s negligence caused your harm? Remember that “harm” can include more than just your resulting medical condition. Don’t miss out on the full pain and suffering compensation you’re entitled to! Call the Law Office of Brian K. Branch at 505.764.9710 or contact us online!