Were you injured because of someone else’s negligence and are now facing a loss of income because of the accident? Even minor injuries can prevent you from returning to work or performing all of your job requirements, which can cause financial stress on top of everything else you’re dealing with. But there’s hope! Lost wages are one of the many types of compensation you can claim as a victim of a personal injury accident in Albuquerque.
Types of Lost Wages You Can Claim:
There are two types of lost wages you can claim in your personal injury case:
- Past Lost Income – income lost because of your injuries up until the point of your case being finalized
- Future Lost Earnings – income that you may lose in the future as a result of your injuries.
According to HG.org, past lost income is relatively easy to prove. You will typically need your employer to confirm your absences from work due to the accident and the earnings that you would have received if you had been able to come to work.
HG.org goes on to say that future lost earnings are the most complicated to claim because your future ability to earn wages is usually quite ambiguous. Most personal injury accident victims will experience some form of recovery over time and will be able to return to work either full-time or part-time. But in many cases, there is a “loss of earning capacity.” Because this aspect of the law is very nuanced, an experienced personal injury lawyer is essential.
Reasons You Might Lose Wages After An Accident
There are many possible scenarios for which you can claim compensation for lost wages.
- You might not be able to work at all (or in the same capacity) for a time during your recovery. While you might eventually be able to return to your previous job, you can still claim the wages lost during your recovery time.
- Your physical injuries might not prevent you from going to work, but your emotional injuries do. It’s quite common for accidents to leave victims with psychological damage or PTSD. Emotional damage can prevent you from performing your normal work tasks, which is also ground for claiming lost wages.
- Your injuries might impact your future so that you can’t go back to your previous job, but you can perform some kind of work. You might be able to claim lost wages if the only work you can perform after the accident doesn’t pay as much as your previous job.
Have you been the victim of an accident that has caused or will cause you to lose income in Albuquerque, New Mexico? It’s time to claim the wages that are rightfully yours. Get started by contacting an experienced personal injury lawyer today at 505.764.9710 or online!
Law Office of Brian K. Branch
715 Marquette Ave. NW
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102I