If you were injured in a car accident, then you probably have a long list of questions. Who will pay for my medical bills and other losses? When should I contact my insurance company?


Although the Internet has plenty of information about car accident claims, your best source of guidance is a personal-injury lawyer. An accident attorney can evaluate your case, gather evidence, talk to witnesses, handle correspondence with the insurance company, and fight for the highest possible settlement.

Many drivers make the mistake of providing too much information to insurance adjusters. It is important to remember that the insurer can use your statements to undervalue or deny your claim. In fact, it is best that you limit your correspondence with the insurance company until you discuss your claim with a personal-injury lawyer.

If the crash happened in New Mexico, contact The Law Office of Brian K. Branch,PC. An Albuquerque injury attorney will help you navigate the claims process.

Call 505-207-4401 today to schedule a free initial consultation. Until then, read on to learn the answers to four car accident claim FAQs:

  1. Do I need to give a recorded statement to a claims adjuster?

You are under no obligation to give a recorded statement to a claims adjuster. The insurance company is not your friend; its goal is to pay out as little as possible. As such, it may use your recorded statements to undervalue your claim or deny it altogether.

  1. What is the statute of limitations for personal-injury lawsuits in New Mexico?

If you sustained injuries in an accident, you have three years to file a personal-injury lawsuit. However, you have four years to sue for property damage. This timeframe begins on the date of the accident.

It is critical that you initiate the claim before the statute of limitations expires. Otherwise, the court will most likely refuse to hear your case. It is best to contact an injury attorney as soon as possible after the crash.

  1. What are the minimum car insurance requirements in New Mexico?

According to NewMexico.gov, the minimum insurance requirements in this state are:

  • $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person;
  • $50,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more people;
  • And $10,000 for property damage in any one accident.

In addition to liability insurance, you should also consider purchasing uninsured motorist coverage. This is optional, but it can be a life-saver if you are in a wreck with an uninsured or underinsured driver. If the at-fault motorist does not have insurance, has low coverage limits, and has no assets, you can make a claim against your own insurer through your UIM policy.

  1. What steps should you take after a car accident?

Even a minor fender-bender can be a nerve-racking experience, but it is essential that you remain calm after a crash. The steps you take in the immediate aftermath could affect your ability to recover compensation.

Your top priority is to seek medical attention. If possible, gather evidence at the scene:

  • Take photos that show the positions of vehicles, skid marks, traffic signs, intersections, injuries and property damage;
  • Gather contact and insurance information from all drivers involved;
  • Record contact information from eyewitnesses;
  • Call the police;
  • See a doctor as soon as possible;
  • And contact an injury attorney.

An Albuquerque personal-injury lawyer from The Law Office of Brian K. Branch, PC can represent your interests. Schedule a free initial consultation today by calling 505-207-4401.