Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic experience, even when it is a minor crash. And in most cases, the vehicle isn’t the only thing affected by the impact. The reality is, car wrecks leave thousands and thousands of people suffering from injuries that vary in severity. And while most of these injuries are evident the moment after the crash occurs, some are delayed and won’t appear until several days later.
So, if you’ve recently been involved in a car accident in Albuquerque, NM and are wondering what some of the common symptoms are that you may experience a few days later, below we are sharing five that Dr. Alex Bigham, owner and CEO of Novocur Pain Management Clinics, pointed out [Source: KTAR News].
- Headaches. You may find yourself experiencing headaches a few days after the accident and while some might just be a result of the stress and strain your body underwent in the crash, it could also be a sign of a serious problem. Dr. Bigham says headaches after an accident may “signal a blood clot on the brain, injury to the neck or head, or even a serious concussion.” In other words, it would be a good idea to get it checked out.
- Stiffness in your neck or shoulders. If your neck and/or shoulders are painful or stiff, you may have suffered from whiplash. In most cases, a person whose vehicle was rear-ended is likely to experience symptoms of whiplash, although anyone involved in an accident is at risk of sustaining this type of injury. Although the Mayo Clinic suggests that “most people get better within a few weeks by following a treatment plan that includes pain medication and experience,” if you find you are suffering from discomfort in either area, it might be a sign of something more serious. Therefore, you may want to consider having some x-rays taken, have a CT scan done, or even an MRI depending on what your doctor recommends.
- Back Pain. If you experience back pain, it might be an indicator that you sustained an injury to your muscles, ligaments or nerves. The news source highlighted that “low back pain is found in more than half of rear impact-collisions in which injury was reported, and almost three-quarters of all side-impact crashes.”
- Swelling or pain in your abdomen. If your abdomen is swollen or painful, this might be a sign that the accident caused internal bleeding. Dr. Bigham listed other symptoms of internal bleeding as “deep purple bruising, dizziness, and fainting.” Because internal bleeding can be life-threatening, it is important that you seek medical help right away.
- Numbness. If you feel numbness in your arms or hands, this generally means you suffered a whiplash injury, although your doctor is the professional you would want to speak with who can accurately diagnose why you are experiencing the loss of feeling. As mentioned, most whiplash victims generally get better after treatment but unless you meet with a doctor, you won’t know exactly why you are feeling numb in certain areas or if your condition is more severe than you might think.
It’s important for you to keep an eye out for any of these symptoms as they might be an indicator that you need to seek medical attention right away. And if your doctor determines that your car accident has caused you to suffer an injury, you will want to look into getting your insurer or that of the at-fault party to provide you with compensation for the medical treatments you had rendered.
Now, if you find that your insurer isn’t properly compensating you or that your injury has led to you suffering from a much more serious condition that has impacted your quality of life, consider contacting Albuquerque car accident attorney Brian K. Branch. While it isn’t always necessary to hire an auto accident lawyer after a wreck, sometimes, it is if you want to obtain the maximum compensation you are entitled to for all the pain and suffering the accident has caused you.
So, if you would like to learn more about how our firm can help you get through this tough time along with the approach we take to help you recover the compensation you deserve, contact us today at 505-764-9710.
You can reach the Law Office of Brian K. Branch at:
715 Marquette Avenue NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Read more accident articles here